This broccoli and beef recipe is actually my standard go-to for any stir fry sauce. I will change up the spices or flavourings depending on my mood as it's very versatile but here is my basic recipe of broccoli and beef stir fry:
Steak - thinly sliced (can use leftovers, roasts, etc...)
Broccoli - I prefer fresh, but frozen can be used
2 Large Carrots
Noodles or Rice
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Cold Water
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1. Roughly chop the Broccoli, onion, carrots - cut up the steak (I use my kitchen shears and literally 'cut' it up) directly into the pan.
2. Slap a lid on that puppy and over medium heat, let her steam-fry. I find that there is enough moisture left from washing the broccoli, as well as in the onions and steak and it doesn't need oil. If you feel like it does, feel free to add some. Now would also be a good time to cook the noodles or rice.
3. While that's cooking its time to whip up the sauce. Combine all the dry sauce ingredients in a bowl. Add the liquids (soy + water). Whisk really well so there are no lumps. If you are not familiar with cornstarch based sauces - as soon as this heats up - it's thick, and as it cools, it thickens, so please note that the veggies & meat need to be cooked - as it won't cook much more once the sauce is on without burning.
4. Once the veggies are cooked to your liking (I like tender-crisp carrots and bright green broccoli), it's time to combine.
5. Add sauce to pan and stir fry until the sauce comes to a boil. Once it's bubbling, remove from heat and serve over noodles (or rice).
Now that you know how to make Beef + Broccoli Stir Fry Sauce from scratch using a few basic things from your pantry - I better not catch any of you buying those horrible little chemical packets from the grocery store any more!